You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your following period is more than 7 days later
- Your duration is smaller or lighter than typical
- You have got any unexpected or pain that is unusual your reduced stomach (this may be an indication of an ectopic maternity, the place where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive tablet might communicate with other medications. Included in these are:
- The natural medication St John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to treat HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for instance omeprazole (an antacid) to produce your belly less acid
EllaOne may not be utilized if you’re currently using one of these brilliant medicines, as it can never be effective.
Levonelle may nevertheless be used, nevertheless the dosage could need to be increased – your pharmacist or doctor can advise with this.
There ought to be no connection between your crisis pill and a lot of antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or prevent meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 days a while later.
If you wish to make sure that your medications are safe to simply take with all the emergency contraceptive tablet, pose a question to your GP or perhaps a pharmacist. Its also wise to browse the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I have the crisis contraceptive tablet ahead of time?
Maybe you are in a position to get the crisis contraceptive tablet prior to having non-safe sex if:
- You might be concerned about your contraceptive technique failing
- You’re taking place vacation
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as emergency contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a little, T-shaped contraceptive unit made of synthetic and copper. It’s inserted in to the uterus by an experienced wellness professional. It may avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or becoming fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity as compared to crisis tablet, plus it will not connect to other medicine.
It is possible to choose to have the IUD left in as an ongoing way of contraception.
Just exactly How effective could be the IUD at preventing maternity?
There are lots of forms of IUD. Newer ones do have more copper and therefore are a lot more than 99% effective. Less than two feamales in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over five years are certain to get expecting. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but they are nevertheless effective. The IUD works more effectively as compared to crisis tablet at preventing maternity after unsafe sex.
Who are able to utilize the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including ladies who haven’t been expecting and the ones who will be HIV good. Your GP or clinician will inquire about your history that is medical to if an IUD would work for you personally.
You must not make use of an IUD when you yourself have:
- An untreated STI or even an infection that is pelvic
- Certain abnormalities of the cervix or womb
- Any unexplained bleeding from your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Women that have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be inserted when there is a risk which you may currently be expecting. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, nevertheless the danger of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Do you know the relative negative effects regarding the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are unusual, but can consist of discomfort, disease, injury to the expulsion or womb(the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD along with other medications
The emergency IUD shall perhaps not respond with any kind of medication.
Where could I get emergency contraception?
The emergency can be got by you contraceptive tablet additionally the IUD for free of:
- A GP surgery providing you with contraception (some GP surgeries may well not give you the IUD)
- A contraception hospital
- A health clinic that is sexual
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our sexual helpline on 0800 22 44 88)
You may also have the crisis contraceptive capsule free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some injuries units that are minor
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
The physician or nursing assistant the truth is may ask when it comes to after information:
- If you have had non-safe sex in your present cycle that is menstrual
- The date for the day that is first of final duration in addition to typical duration of your period
- Information on any contraceptive failure (such as for example exactly how many pills you may possibly have missed, as soon as)
- If you have utilized any medicines that could influence your contraception
If you are aged 13 or higher, you may get contraception through the most of community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently free of charge. You can buy the emergency contraceptive pill from most pharmacies if you are not eligible for NHS Scotland services. The fee differs, nonetheless it will be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are staying away from a regular approach to contraception, you could start thinking about doing this in purchase to reduce the possibility of unintended maternity. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) provides the most efficient security against maternity, and you also do not have to think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can I have it?
It depends which type of crisis contraception you utilize. There’s two practices:
- The crisis contraceptive capsule (early morning after pill) – there are 2 kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your method that is usual of has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized in the place of your method that is usual of.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having sex that is unprotected the greater amount of effective it’s. To get more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive tablet
Levonelle can be obtained totally free without having a prescription. You could get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or intimate wellness hospital. Make use of our nationwide provider Directory to get pharmacy that is nearest, GP surgery or intimate wellness hospital.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available cost-free. You may get them from most community pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (3 days) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of getting non-safe sex.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or ovulation that is delayingwhenever your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken at the earliest opportunity after having unsafe sex.
You take one tablet that is ellaOne. It prevents or delays ovulation and helps it be more challenging for a fertilised egg to implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be acquired from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Most health that is sexual (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned as part of your womb. It damages both the semen additionally the egg, and stops an egg that is fertilised in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having unsafe sex, or, whether it’s feasible to calculate whenever you ovulate, as much as five days after you ovulate. The IUD is one of type that is effective of contraception.
It is possible to keep carefully the IUD in as your method that is regular of, or a medical practioner can eliminate it throughout your next duration.
Crisis contraception may never be ideal for everyone else. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you are unwell
If you should be ill (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, get hold of your GP. You might have to take another product.
Just exactly exactly How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you employ and just how quickly you employ it.
There are two main ways of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after product – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity when you haven’t utilized contraception or think your typical approach to contraception has unsuccessful.