Guinea pigs, also called https://realmailorderbrides.com/ukrainian-brides cavies, are friendly and pets that are inquisitive. But, they require dedication and attention that is regular ensure they continue to be healthy and delighted. Keep reading to discover simple tips to take care of your pocketful of sunlight.
Guinea pigs are sociable pocket animals, are often tamed, and certainly will live for approximately a decade. Their nature that is friendly makes great animals. They’re also really smart.
Guinea pigs are happiest whenever kept along with other guinea pigs. Nonetheless, when you do keep women and men together, ensure both pets would be the sex that is same at minimum one sex is desexed.
RSPCA NSW will not suggest guinea that is keeping and rabbits together. Rabbits can spread conditions to guinea pigs, in addition they may bully one another.
Guinea pigs are herbivores. To help keep them healthier and pleased, they want:
- a continuing supply of high quality fresh lawn or lawn hay, such as for instance Meadow, Oaten, Pasture, Ryegrass, Timothy or Wheaten hays. This is really important for using straight down their constantly growing teeth.
- fresh, leafy greens and herbs every single day, such as for instance broccoli, cabbage (in a small amount), celery, endives, Brussel sprouts, bok choy as well as other Asian greens, and dark-leafed lettuce varieties; and natural natural herbs such as for example basil, coriander, dandelion, dill, mint and parsley. Keep in mind that carrot tops should simply be given as a treat that is occasional.
- little degrees of top-quality guinea pig pellets. These needs to have the absolute minimum content that is fibre of percent.
- an everyday way to obtain supplement C, such as smaller amounts of citrus and kiwi fruits
- a consistent way to obtain clean, fresh water
Never feed your guinea pig:
- breakfast cereals
- Clover or Lucerne (Alfalfa) hays
- yard bushes
- lily associated with valley
- pea pea nuts
- onion grass
- potato tops
- natural beans
- rhubarb leaves
- spinich leaves
Guinea pigs require plenty of room to work out – the greater amount of the greater. She should work out each and every day in a big, grassy area, free and safe from predators.
You might offer your guinea pig with a chewing log made from untreated lumber to wear her teeth down, and overturned bins to cover up in.
Everyday grooming is really important for long-haired guinea pigs, and guarantees their coats stay in good shape. Regular management will also assist build her self- self- confidence, and encourage her to be friendly and sociable.
It’s also wise to look at the period of your guinea pig’s teeth and toenails. When they are too much time, get the veterinarian to trim them.
Good cleansing and feeding methods may help avoid many typical health issues, including breathing infections and epidermis dilemmas.
It is crucial to cover a flyscreen to your guinea pig’s hutch. Carrying this out, also maintaining her hutch clean, may help avoid flystrike. Long-haired guinea pigs are especially vulnerable to this problem, and this can be fatal.
Guinea pigs, similar to pets, will also be vunerable to fleas. Confer with your veterinarian about a suitable flea therapy if required. They could additionally suffer with mite infestations, which could cause disquiet, locks itchiness and loss.
If the guinea pig develops bald batches, this may be an indication of the fungal illness ringworm, so look for assistance from a veterinarian immediately.
To learn more about common health issues, click the link.
Your guinea pig’s enclosure must be a minumum of one metre by 0.7 metres, and 0.7 metres high. For those who have two guinea pigs, they are going to require twice this area. They are going to likewise require their very own, separate resting areas, which must certanly be covered. You need to fly-proof the enclosure using flyscreen cable or mosquito netting, as this may help reduce steadily the chance of flystrike.
Line the hutch with newsprint and grass that is soft to offer padding and give a wide berth to foot accidents. Don’t use sawdust, straw or lumber shavings. Keep in mind that your guinea pig requires a soft, clean, dry area all the time, or she can quickly develop base issues. Clean her whole enclosure frequently, and her bedding when required – often when each and every day.
Maintain the hutch in a sheltered area that will be well ventilated, between 18-26°C, and kept out of sunlight and strong winds. She should always get access to sufficient color.
Click on this link to learn more about preventing heatstroke.